Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Most Unusual Birding Guide

Pete Dunne's Essential Field Guide Companion:
A Comprehensive Resource for Identifying North American Birds

is most certainly the most unusual "birding guide" I have encountered outside of historical research materials. It has no pictures. It is truly designed to be a companion to your field guide not to serve as one.

I loved exploring this endearing book. The man thinks like I do! He birds like I do! Holistic approach, he calls it the Cape May School of Birding. Perhaps it is.

I see it simply as a broad brush view of the entire scene, the habit, the habitat, the flight pattern, the colors, etc. No one taught me to do that. But if I get a copy of this book for my own use, I will surely seek the author's autograph in Cape May County, New Jersey!

No comments:

Rebellious Prophet - Jonah

If I were to write a book about a rebellious prophet , one of my first choices would be JONAH. Just read the first chapter of Jonah in the O...